Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Im flying home from The Netherlands and was given a street sign as a gift (a real one) can I check this item?


Im flying home from The Netherlands and was given a street sign as a gift (a real one) can I check this item?
I was given a street sign from friends from The Netherlands while I am here studying. I would like to bring this home with me but not mail it home since it will cost a lot and Im a student who doesnt have a lot of money laying around. If I were to check this item and put it in my suitcase with my clothes and all would security both in The Netherlands and the US be ok with this? I just dont want this being taken and me loosing it. If anything I will just mail it but I want to avoid this.
Netherlands - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
that would be government property. I wouln't chance bringin that thru customs dude
2 :
If I were you, I would call the airports you will be going through. Ask them! That way you have an answer from the source that would be more reliable than any answers you get here. If you don't want to do that, then I would just mail it to be safe. If it's worth the money to mail it, then you don't want to risk having it taken away. (Isn't it illegal to have street signs after all? They might not like it if you have one and they think it was stolen.)
3 :
Sure, we have no objection at all to people removing our street signs and taking them to foreign countries as souvenirs, what else are they good for anyway... And you came to our country to study what exactly? Chemistry? Maybe you should be more careful about inhaling fumes or something...
4 :
If you check the bag in, you'll be okay unless security does a random check or a check after they xray the bag. In which case, they will take it. So, the mail is a less risky way of losing it. I've had my bags searched, especially when you come back into the U.S.
5 :
There are legal ways to acquire street signs, if your friend got you the sign in a legal way, he might be able to give you the proof of that. With that you can take it in your luggage, just paste a copy of the proof on the sign if it is in checked luggage. Mostly the checks out of view are safety checks, those will not worry about an item being legal or not, but just in case. Upon entry into the USA you can be asked to open up your bags, this is after you pick them up, but before you leave the airport. There might be awkward questions, but if you are sure the sign is legal, or are willing to take the risk, why not. Sending it by mail you would run the same risks, as mail is scanned too, and often opened if something strange is seen. And you will not be there to talk your way out of it, unlike at the airport. I would put it in my check-in bag, and try not to worry about it. Just do not make the bag overweight with it, that would make you open the bag before check-in and then there will also be awkward questions........
6 :
Just put it in your luggage. They have to go over all sorts of items. This is not a dangerous item and it is possible to acquire a legal one. They will not bother you with your traffic sign.

Read more other entries :