Friday, October 1, 2010

Healthcare for an EU student studying in the Netherlands?

Healthcare for an EU student studying in the Netherlands?
Hi! I am wondering if anyone here can kindly help me with an issue. This fall I'll be beginning my undergraduate degree in the Netherlands. I have lived all my life in the US, but I am a dual citizen in Finland, and I will be studying there technically as a Finnish student. I've never had health insurance in the EU. I've tried contacting the Dutch health care organization but their answer was not helpful. Should I contact Finland or the Netherlands to enroll for health insurance? How should I go about it? I won't be working the Netherlands (at least not at first), but I will be studying there for at least three years. Thanks very much, Todd
Netherlands - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You need to have health insurance in the Netherlands and if you read this then it explains it clearly http://www.nuffic.nl/international-students/how-to-prepare/insurance/health-insurance Option 2 is not applicable for you because whilst you hold a Finnish passport, you have not been resident in FInland and therefore are not already insured and thus cannot make use of the EHIC card system as far as I am aware (and in any case it would mean making payments to a Finnish insurance company anyway) So you will need to take out insurance and as it states in the article maybe it's a good idea to seek advice from your university in NL, and/or check the two listed in the article for international students You say you have contacted the "Dutch health care organisation" - but whom did you contact? The SVB is the place you have to contact http://www.svb.nl/int/en/algemeen/contact/index.jsp and they are normally good at responding in a timely manner in my experience (I worked as a student advisor for foreign students and had to refer to the SVB several times for questions like this)

Read more other entries :