Sunday, November 14, 2010

What is it like to go on a Student Exchange Program?


What is it like to go on a Student Exchange Program?
Hi. My name is Matt. I live in Australia and I am 13. I am thinking of going on a Student Exchange Program to The Netherlands (Where I was born). I was just wondering, what is it like? I am an independent person, but I don't like being away from home. Should I go now, and do the 5/6 months? Or, should I wait for them to make The Netherlands available for the 1/2 month exchange?
Other - Education - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you don't like being away from home, I don't know if an exchange program is really right for you! BUT I'm sure that if exchange is what you really really want, you'll be able to overcome that!! Being an exchange student is a wonderful experience. It's very difficult and sometimes scary... But so worth it. I think you're a little young to go NOW. Which exchange program are you talking about? Most respectable programs I've heard of have a minimum age of like 15. But when you DO go, I definitely recommend going for 5/6 months, or even a whole year! That way you can learn the language. : ) Dutch is a great language to learn because it's not as common as say French or Spanish so it'll give you an edge!
2 :
Congratulations on your choice. I spent a year as an exchange student in the Netherlands and it completely changed my life. The Netherlands is a wonderful country to go to for an exchange because the excellent public transportation system will allow you to go on day trips to various cities by train, bus, and tram. The Dutch ride their bicycles everywhere and I loved being able to get around so easily. Holland is a beautiful old country filled with little towns, but it also has some large exciting cities. You will be able to find something you enjoy, whether it is arts and culture or sports. The Dutch are very sportsminded. I knew no Dutch when I went, but easily picked it up, and with a little study found I had few problems. People in the Netherlands generally speak a few languages, so your problem may be trying to get them to stop speaking English to you. Learning a new language, particularly the language of your birth country, will be a rewarding experience. I didn't know it at the time, but learning Dutch led me to study German, Italian, French, and Spanish. I now teach Spanish. When I went to Holland, I was fairly shy around new people and my experience of being out in the world on my own helped me to gain more confidence. I didn't really experience homesickness and for some reason I never thought much about being away from home before I left. I think you will find that when you are living with a host family their home becomes your home. Since you are independent, you should be able to make this adjustment. And, well, with Skype, IM, and e-mail you are really very close to your family and friends in Australia. I hope you will go on the 5/6 month exchange because 1/2 months is very short. Good luck with your choice.

Read more other entries :