Thursday, February 28, 2013

How can I attend a University in The Netherlands?

How can I attend a University in The Netherlands?
I'm thinking on attending a University in The Netherlands, hopefully to gain a degree in International Affairs. At the moment, I'm on my first year of at Wake Technical Community College. I have always wanted to study in The Netherlands, so this seems like this can be my chance. It seems easier to attend the University and get a degree from that University after I get my 64-Credit Associates Degree from here, then to transfer out to a four year school then do a transfer program. Unless someone has any suggestions. Now I'm not to familiar with the rules and process of studying in a different country's schools, so can someone help me out? I also have some questions/concerns. 1. How to study in The Netherlands? 2. As a foreign student, how would the payment work out? 3. Good schools for International Affairs, or other majors that are similar? 4. Where would I live? 5. Can I have some form of employment while I'm studying there? I ask since I know as a foreign student in Sweden, my cousin was not aloud to work while he was studying? 6. Etc.? Just to add I am fluent in Dutch. Native of English and fluent in German, Dutch, Spanish, French, Russian, and learning Italian and a messing around with Farsi at the moment. Also, how would degrees from out of country hold up in the United States? If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to answer.
Netherlands - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well I'm impressed with the amount of languages and any intake officer would also be pretty impressed to see that as well! Anyway, I wasn't sure what you meant by studying in the Netherlands if you mean studhying in Dutch or in English but given that you mentioned only fluency in English then I'll assume you want to study in English (which is advisable unless you are at a near native level or high level of Dutch) However the below site also has info on studying in Dutch as well if this is what you want. So the first step you should do is to read the info on this site as it is the site for foreign students studying in the Netherlands and pretty much has all the answers to your questions http://www.nuffic.nl/ So to answer your specific questions then 1. How to - well this is covered in great detail on the site I gave you here http://www.nuffic.nl/international-students 2. As a foreign and non-EEA student then the bad news is that you are going to end up paying higher study fees than a domestic or EEA student. The fees are course/institution dependant so it is best to look around at what is on offer here which is a listing of all the courses available in English http://www.nuffic.nl/international-students/study-options/study-options. If you pick the course then it will detail the study fees So it does cost more money, but there are also scholarships and grants available to foreign students so don't forget to check this out as well http://www.nuffic.nl/international-students/scholarships 3. Not being familiar with this stream then I could only guess so I'll leave this and hopefully someone else can pick this up 4. Depending on which place you study, then accomodation can be really difficult to find for someone on a student budget. Some of the colleges/uni's do offer accomodation or at the very least a list of where to find accomodation. So it is def. best to utlise this option if there is the choice. Finding accomodation from abroad would be really difficult 5. If you are allowed to work or not depends on your nationality and visa but as a foreign student with a residence permit then you can work up to 10 hours per week during term-time and full-time in June, July & August. Read this for details http://www.nuffic.nl/pdf/service/factsh/international-students-and-part-time-jobs.pdf 6. Well make sure you arrange the immigration issues properly as you will need a student visa. You can read the details here http://www.nuffic.nl/international-students/how-to-prepare/visas-and-permits and http://www.ind.nl/EN/index.asp Good luck

Read more other entries :