Thursday, November 1, 2012

Do the Netherlands allow HIV-positive PhD students?

Do the Netherlands allow HIV-positive PhD students?
I am a Mexican citizen. I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Europe. Since I am HIV-positive, already under treatment, I was wondering if in the Netherlands I would have access to insurance to continue my treatment. I was also interested in Germany, but it seems that the insurance will not cover my HIV condition (not to mention that in Bayern I would not even be allowed as a resident). What about other European countries in the EU? (I only speak Spanish and English) Thanks.
Studying Abroad - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Insurance companies in the Netherlands are since one year obliged to accept people for basic health care insurance - they may refuse or set specific demands for additional provisions. So you having HIV should not be a problem to find general insurance, but if you need additional care, it might get more complicated. And to answer your first question: universities in the Netherlands allow HIV-positive students. They don't ask about it.
2 :
Er, that link only applies to Dutch legal residents... not to people there on a student visa. I'm not entirely sure what would happen insurance-wise, sorry. I'd recommned trying to call the Dutch embassy and ask.
3 :
Don't know the answer, but you might want to try and ask an organization which helps people who'd want to study in The Netherlands

Read more other entries :