Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Best way to go about communication while I'm visiting Europe?

Best way to go about communication while I'm visiting Europe?
This summer, I'm visiting Europe through a Student Ambassador Program. I will be spending time in England, Wales, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Ireland. Currently, I have an LG EnV3, with unlimited calling, text messaging, and Internet capabilities. I was wondering if anybody knew what some reasonable ideas were to communicate with people back at home in the USA during my trip. Will I have cell phone reception while in Europe? I will be away for nineteen days. Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated!
Other - Europe - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Honestly leave your phone off and just enjoy your time there as much as you can. You will be able to fill your friends in when you get home. And buy a calling card to use at a pay phone to talk to your parents.
2 :
I visited Europe last summer on a sports trip> if you are expecting to call home, it will cost more and you will need to contact your cell phone company for further details on how to get service overseas. Some companies do not have service out of the US, so it would be wise of you to find out as soon as possible. Another good way of communication is email. If you are staying in a nice hotel in Europe, they usually supply at least one computer. Especially since you are going with a student program, they should make sure communication is available. I'm sorry but I'm not sure if you can text overseas, it sounds very unlikely. But you can also purchase calling cards when you get to Europe, where you can call home with however many minutes you have on your card. If i remember correctly, it was either an American dollar or maybe a little more per minute to call home with the cell phone service. Well, I hope I helped. Enjoy your trip :)
3 :
Check with your cell provider to make sure your phone is compatible with European systems in the countries you will visit. I had no problem, except for some reason I couldn't get my voicemail messages and racked up some expenses trying to access it. Also, calls were about 90¢ a minute because I was out of my area. I even had calls billed from a country I didn't visit because I happened to connect to a service over the border! I found it better to just periodically send an e-mail to my address list saying I'm OK. It was good to turn the phone off for often several days at a time and just enjoy my travels without feeling the need to always be a slave to an electronic device. You may wish to do the same. It is not important to be in 24/7 contact when you are traveling. Your attention is always wandering to your phone instead of appreciating the cultures you are visiting. Have a great trip!
4 :
Best way? Thats what i'm talking about
5 :
Its not your phone its your service, personally ive stuck with t-mobile for years because i know my phone has worked in every country ive been to for the last 6 years. Make sure your phone is "unlocked" before you travel and that your service will work in all those areas.

Read more other entries :