Monday, October 28, 2013

Host family in the Netherlands?

Host family in the Netherlands?
Okay so here's the deal. I'm a Norwegian student who's gonna study in the Netherlands 2011-2011 (I will by the time I leave Norway) through the YFU international exchange program. (www.yfu.org) YFU will interview shortly after you apply for the exchange program before you pay them a certain amount of money (depending on where you're going) which will cover your stay, school fees etc. Normally, YFU will then find a family they believe is a good match for you and interview them as well. Here's the catch: You can't choose where in the country you'd prefer staying, something I find pretty crucial, but you can in fact find a host family of your own wherever you want and ask YFU to interview them. I have very close friends in one of the Netherlands' regions, which is why I want to stay there instead of some random Dutch city, but I have no idea how to search for a host family in the Netherlands. Could someone help me out? Link me a couple of good sites or something? Thanks in advance! *2011-2012, sorry
Netherlands - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You can try Marktplaats. It is like the small ads in a newspaper, but on internet. And many or even most people in the Netherlands start looking there if they want to sell or buy something, but also if looking for something different. Here is a link to the front page of the site: http://www.marktplaats.nl/ As you can see it is just in Dutch, but you can place English language ads too. I would start with searching, search for host family or words like that. If you get no results, try placing an ad in 'diverse' . I have not searched for you, so I do not know if there are already some hosting offers available. An other route could be to contact a site like couch surfing or hospitality club, and ask the people there to help you find the right place or way to search. Both sites are not for hosting long term, but the people might know where you need to ask: http://www.couchsurfing.org/ http://www.hospitalityclub.org/ Or ask your friend to place an ad for you in the free local paper, so you will end up in the same area.

Read more other entries :