Monday, October 7, 2013

How/where do I buy a eurail pass?


How/where do I buy a eurail pass?
I need to know how to buy a eurail pass and what type I should get. I will be traveling for 15 days in 8 countries: Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, and Italy. Will any pass cover all of that? Also, can I reserve train seats from Canada ahead of time (as opposed to at a station in Europe when I get there) and will a eurail pass cover the overnight trains (with beds)? By the way I am 20 years old and a student.
Other - Europe - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Go to google and type in "man in seat 61". Its a fabulous website giving all the information you require. If you still have questions give me a shout if you like , I have done similar trips over 19 countries in the past 4 years . Its the best way to travel and the Sleepers are a hoot (laugh) as are hostels, both safe and cheap.
2 :
You can actually purchase those online. Just go to eurail.com. You can purchase different countries or just one country. You can also go to www.bahn.de. That is the German rail system. Have a good time. The food is awesome.
3 :
If they still have the "Youthpass", that's the one most people think of when they think of Eurrail, find out how to do that. They used to come in one month passes, and I think you could buy more than one at a time. I hear that reservations are more necessary than I remember, and some places have surcharges that you MUST pay to get on the train. The "sleeper" cars cost a bunch more, but I slept on many trains, no reservations, no worries, everyone just pulled out the seats and it was like one big, six person bed. (and I slept with five people who at the beginning of the day, had been complete strangers to me). I did that several times over the course of two months. Make sure you get your international Student ID card, because you can probably still get into all kinds of stuff for free with it. WELL worth whatever you have to pay for it. And get your International Youth Hostel card at the first hostel you stay at, but find out where they are...they have a website. just search. As Sabre said...safe and cheap. I did it almost thirty years ago. I might be a bit more cautious today, but you will have a blast! Don't overplan, though...have a plan, but be flexible, and don't get your reservations all set from here, because you might have to change your plans. What if you get to Paris, and find out there's this really neat festival in, say Bretagne and you didn't have that on your list. You might really HAVE to go, and then, if you have reservations for Munich , you won't be able to add it in. Make a plan...be flexible! and have fun!

Read more other entries :